Thursday, December 26, 2013

What's Your Best Accomplishment This Year? A New Contest from Five Star Tack!

We're giving away a lovely Five Star Tack Signature Halter! Here's how to enter: Email a story about an accomplishment you and your horse achieved this year along with a photo if you have one. Each story will be posted here and fans of Five Star Tack will be able to vote on the top three. Contest ends on January 2nd. Email fivestartack@mac.com with your story.

Here is our first entry from Melissa and her horse Davy Jones and it's a good one!



I have a special gelding who has exceeded everyone's expectations and made many dreams come true! I hope you enjoy his story...

Davy Jones came into my life on a whim- going to look for an upper level prospect for a friend- in April 2013. At 15 years of age and having over 100 races in 11 years, he wasn't much of a prospect, but I quickly fell in love. He wasn't right for my friend with his fiery personality and age and I wasn't allowed another horse with my husband preparing to deploy to Africa for a year, but I agreed to put time on him and attempt to find him a home.

A week later, after his first Xc school, he returned to the track and received a routine banamine injection in the muscle... Something many trainers on the track do after a hard work. I received a phone call two days later that Davy had a major "allergic reaction" and may not make it. His legs were like an elephant's, his chest was swollen, and drains were placed in his neck. He was in so much pain that he couldn't eat and stood there stoically with fear in his eyes, shaking. 

Two weeks later, I kissed my husband goodbye and brought home my patient and new partner- a big black Seattle Slew grandson who quickly changed my life. Twice a day I cleaned his neck out, pulling dead muscle out of the holes in his neck and giving strong antibiotics along with the heavy cleaning. 
June 1 his neck was closed up, much to the surprise of my vet, and Davy Jones began back to work. He went out for his first cross country school on June 14, since his questionable future began over 2 months prior. 

In August, my good friend and 4* rider, Sarah Hansel rode Davy novice at his first horse trial, while I judged another division. His bold attitude and never quit personality that pulled him through his life threatening infection made him a perfect fit as an event horse. September we completed our first training level horse trials, which is where he has finished out 2013- at training- always clear over fences Xc! 

This past weekend, the fire breathing black horse who nearly died in April carried my 7 year old daughter and her best friend through their first hunter classes, to blue ribbons. In the afternoon he jumped around his first jumper show at 3'6, bringing home ribbons in each class! 


In 2014 Davy will begin at preliminary at 16 years of age and a spring goal of completing a 1*. I hope to be able to compete him through intermediate/2* level, but with how sound he is, I don't see him retiring from his "golden years" career any time soon!

2 comments:

Five Star Tack said...

Thank you, Melissa!

Anonymous said...

My daughter's first time ever on a horse was in the saddle on top of Davy Jones this past October. She was scared; never being that close to a horse before. Davy Jones could tell she was scared and made her first horse ride one that she will never forget. He was gentle and allowed her to lead. She was grinning from ear to ear when she jumped down and led him back to the paddock. Great horse and well deserving!