Sunday, December 29, 2013

Entry No. 5 in Five Star Tack's "What's Your Best Accomplishment This Year?" Contest


Our next entry comes from Katelyn. She shows how through loss, we can learn to look at life differently. 




Hi my name is Katelyn. 


I'm not really sure if this counts as an  accomplishment but it's meaningful to me anyways. I don't want anyone to think I'm writing this as a sob story. I don't really want a halter but I want people to hear my story. I'm 17 years old and live in Georgia. My family owns around 13 horses.

I had two horses I called my own. One was a palomino paint named April. She was about 2 years old and the other is a quarter horse named Skippy and she's around 28 years old. April was born on my family's ranch on April 1, 2011. She was the sweetest thing ever. My brother used to pick her front legs up and put them on his shoulders until she got too big. She was my responsibility and I trained her how to walk with a halter and everything. I  was even able to bring her to my school to talk to my agriculture class about horses. She was my best friend and I could always talk to her. 

Well earlier this year her mom passed away and I knew she was depressed. Then a week later her half sister (who was only a month older then her) was diagnosed with a mental disorder and unfortunately also passed away a couple of weeks later. April used to be full of life and loved people to pet her. One day after I got home from school my mom told me she found April in the pasture and she was bit by a snake. It was too late, she was gone. I didn't know what to do, nor how to handle it. I didn't want anything to do with another horse. It would never be the same. But my horse skippy needed me. She brought my spirit back and made me realize everything happens for a reason. 

I may not have April to go talk to when I need help but I have Skippy. I know it won't be long until I have to say goodbye to her too. But this year has really made me look at horses and life differently. Which in my opinion is a major accomplishment.

No comments: