Thursday, December 26, 2013

Entry No. Two in Five Star Tack's contest "What's Your Best Accomplishment This Year?"

Our second entry is from Chrissy who has a very inspiring story of her horse Waldo. Share your story with Five Star Tack and you may win one of our Signature Halters! Contest ends January 2nd. Email fivestartack@mac.com with your entry.



Wow, where to start on a great accomplishment for my horse in 2013. I think the biggest accomplishment for my gelding is that he is still alive and with me. 

Last year in early December 2012 he was so lethargic he couldn't go outside in the pasture with his mates. He would walk so slowly coming in and be so unsteady on his feet there was great fear of him falling on someone or just going down on his own and not being able to get back up. So he went on stall rest with my mare who was under lights for breeding. (Her story from last year is probably just as fantastic but sadly doesn't have the ending I would hope for as she lost her pregnancy). 

Waldo (Jockey Club name is Darwin's Theory) was diagnosed with EPM in August 2011. He had a severe case and we did the Pathogenes regimen (which is fantastic!) We've done a few rounds and had our ups and downs since the initial diagnosis but in January 2013 he was diagnosed as having contracted non-contagious encephalitis and was re-exposed to EPM. My heart dropped. You see, Waldo is my blank slate - he came into my life as a 4 1/2 year old stallion (who had not been started under saddle) and has blossomed from being unmanageable to a gelding with a great mind and potential for so much. I was hoping to make him my jumper or eventer but now its just that he be happy. 


I questioned myself many times this year on whether I was treating his diseases for him or me. But with time and his determination he has made a 90% physical recovery. He went from failing his neurological exam time and time again to successfully passing it this fall. My vet was thrilled to say the least as am I. His energy level is way up (before lunging him consisted of a walk for a circle, maybe 2 before he'd just stop) now he'll w/t/c both directions and is acting like a 7 year old thoroughbred and is very spirited. And I am hoping that after the move we can start working again under saddle. Before my thoughts were of him just being pasture sound and safe, now its of possibly showing this coming summer and seeing where life takes us. To add to the mix of his issues, we found out recently that he is also partially blind in his right eye - adding even more to the mix. But I know that when he is back to his best he'll be the one to give those who are dealing with EPM the push to try harder because he has tried so hard for me everyday. 

No comments: