Friday, December 27, 2013

Entry No. 3 in Five Star Tack's "What's Your Best Accomplishment This Year?"

This story from Jenna shows the true grit and toughness that riders have. When you think about it, what other sport has so many ways in which you can get injured?

If you would like to share your story, email it to fivestartack@mac.com along with a photo of your horse. Three finalists will be chosen and the winner will be determined by our fans. Deadline is Jan. 2 so get your entry in and be in the running for a Five Star Tack Signature Halter!



My name is Jenna and I have the privilege of owning my wonderful IRS/TB gelding Doodle (Dudes Got Game). He is my upper level eventer and this is our story of 2013. 

Doodle and I had a pretty wonderful show season, and outings this year. We were working him back up to prelim eventing when we had a near death accident June, 26, at 12:53:45 (he broke my watch keeping it at the time of the accident). We were schooling dressage when doodle got irritated, stomping his feet pinning his ears. Not like him at all, as I went to get off, with one foot out of my stirrup doodle reared. (NEVER did he ever step a foot out of place or anything bad before). I thought he'd come back down, but his hind leg slipped out from under him, and he fell over on top of me. Much of the accident I don't remember, but I do remember waking up on the ground with doodle thrashing around next to me because he couldn't get up. Finally he was able to roll himself over, however he rolled back ontop of me but was quickly aware of what he was on and scrambled to his feet. He looked at me scared (like oh my god I killed mom!) eventually I was able to stumble to my feet and get us both taken care of. 


Now, nearly 6 months of much chiropractic, and physical therapy work later I'm back riding full time, and doodle and I are back competing thanks to the encouragement, and guidance of my wonderful trainer Jessica Bortner Harris. December 7, we had competed in our first combined training show since our accident, and took home a big blue ribbon.... But the ribbon wasn't what I was excited about, I had my boy back. I trusted him completely and he put his whole heart into that show for me. I had never felt so overjoyed, to the point during our jumper round I started crying (happy tears) mid course. Doodle really is my better half. I don't know where I'd be without him, we've come away stronger after that accident and we are ready for 2014! 

No comments: