Monday, April 22, 2013

The Addictiveness of Cross Country

It's Rolex week finally and if you're an eventer, you are eagerly counting down the days and hours until Saturday because it's all about cross country!

Going to Rolex last year and seeing the total focus of horse and rider combined with the exhilaration of completing a four star course made me relapse. I got bit by the riding bug again and while it took another six months for me to climb back in the saddle, I haven't looked back since.

This weekend I had the good fortune to ride outside of the ring during my lesson. It had been several long years since I had jumped anything resembling a cross country jump and while the jumps certainly weren't four star height, I felt some of the same focus and exhilaration those riders experience.

But, what is it about riding out in the open and jumping in particular that is so addictive?
Is it the total focus on each step the horse takes as you both balance changes in terrain and footing?
Is it thinking about the line you'll be taking to the jump and how great the jump felt?
Is it the extra spring in the horse's step that is communicated all the way to your hands?
Is it because you know your horse is having as much fun as you are?
Is it the risk element; giving up the control you have in the arena?
Is it the feeling of soaring through the air?
Is it the feeling of accomplishment; completing a tough course or just meeting every jump in balance?

Why do you like riding cross country?

All I know is, it put a smile on my face and driving home from my lesson I said to myself, "I am so grateful to be doing this again!"



No comments: